Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Confessions of a Massachusetts Republican

As far as election campaigns go I have been around the block....No not like that. I have campaigned in MA, NJ, PA, FL, DC, VA for races ranging from local elections all the way up to a Presidential Campaign (and everything in between). I have always taken a certain amount of pride in challenging the belief that a Republican could not claim the Governor's mansion or a North Eastern PA Congressional Seat (coming back for that one in 2010). One thing I always excepted however was that Massachusetts will never (at least not in my lifetime) send a Republican to Congress, let alone the United States Senate. With that in mind I worked harder and longer to challenge places where the term Republican was a dirty word.

I don't think I was ever as distressed about the one party control of my state until I began interning. Quickly it became clear that I would not be able to apply to any of the Members of Congress who represented me. Luckily I found an adoptive home in the midwest office of the future Governor of Oklahoma. But with an hour to go before polls close in the Bay State it looks like for the first time in 40 years a Republican just may be representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the Senate. What a difference a year makes! More than the opportunity to intern for a person I believe in from MA, Scott Brown's campaign represents an affirmation of something every parent has told their child from a young age. Hard work is rewarded. Win or lose Brown has outworked his opponent and ignored the pundits who said it was a pipe dream. I wish him the best of luck tonight and I cast my ballot almost two weeks ago for him.

Until the polls close I am just keeping the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment